04 Aug Sarah Crowe – 2017 Winemaker of the Year
With the wines made in her first vintage at Yarra Yering, winemaker Sarah Crowe has received one of the wine industry’s highest honours.
James Halliday named Sarah ‘Winemaker of the Year’ for 2017 at the QANTAS epiQure Halliday Wine Companion Awards in Melbourne on 3 August, making Sarah the first woman to receive this award.
Halliday said, “She has done a fabulous job with what was her first full vintage. Just an amazing, amazing job.
“And made a wine I always thought was impossible – a Shiraz Pinot Noir in the Yarra Valley. She was the very first to do it and it’s just a beautiful wine. A marriage made in heaven.”
- 2015 Light Dry Red Pinot Noir Shiraz
- 2014 Underhill Shiraz
- 2014 Dry Red Wine No.2
- 2014 Dry Red Wine No.1
This achievement marks a shift in the story of Yarra Yering, which for much of its history has been tied to the identity of its founder, Dr Bailey Carrodus.
Sarah came to Yarra Yering and the Yarra Valley in September 2013, drawn to the iconic legacy of Yarra Yering after 12 years in the Hunter Valley.
Sarah credits Dr Carrodus for providing her with all the riches a winemaker craves to produce really great wine.
“I simply want to make wines which are true to the integrity of the fruit I have to work with.
“And the fruit is exceptional. With the advances in the scientific understanding of winemaking we have today, I can only improve on the original vision and legacy created by Dr Carrodus,” said Sarah.
Halliday said, “She has made red wines of the highest imaginable quality from her first vintage, and to the delight of many, myself included, has offered all the wines with screwcaps.
“For good measure, she introduced the 2015 Light Dry Red Pinot Shiraz as a foretaste of the 2015 vintage, and an affirmation of the exceptional talent recognised by her Winemaker of the Year in the 2017 Wine Companion.”
Subtle changes Sarah has made to the winemaking at Yarra Yering have contributed to significant outcomes in the quality of the wine, such as reducing the level of new oak used in maturation to give the fruit centre stage in each wine.
Yarra Yering is extremely proud of Sarah’s achievement and we extend our congratulations to her for this remarkable award.
Halliday Wine Companion 2017 results for Yarra Yering
- 2014 Yarra Yering Carrodus Cabernet Sauvignon, 99 points
- 2014 Yarra Yering Carrodus Shiraz, 99 points
- 2014 Yarra Yering Dry Red No. 1, 98 points
- 2014 Yarra Yering Dry Red No. 2, 98 points
- 2015 Yarra Yering Light Dry Red Pinot Shiraz, 98 points (Sold Out)
- 2014 Yarra Yering Underhill Shiraz, 98 points
- 2014 Yarra Yering Pinot Noir, 97 points
- 2014 Yarra Yering Dry Red No 3, 96 points
- 2014 Yarra Yering Dry White No 1, 95 points
- 2014 Yarra Yering Chardonnay, 94 points (Sold Out)
- 2014 Yarra Yering Dry White No 2, 93 points (Sold Out)